Catherine’s Housesteads Guided Tour
Catherine’s Housesteads Guided Tour features:
- The fort’s role in both the British Roman occupation and the Roman Empire, with reference to the Roman Frontiers in England, Scotland, Europe, Asia and North Africa and relevance as World Heritage sites.
- How the geological features dictated the location of the fort “on Hadrian’s Wall”
- How the fort would have interacted with the other forts and military installations along Hadrian’s Wall and the older ‘Stanegate’ Roman forts.
- The military zone along Hadrian’s Wall and the “Vallum”
- The fort which occupied the site, the buildings it contained - how the buildings changed during the life of the fort throughout the Roman occupation and beyond. Highlights include the fort’s Head Quarters Building, the Commanding Officer’s House, the Housestead’s hospital, the granaries, Turret 36B, the garrison’s barracks, Hadrian’s Wall and the famous latrines/toilets.
- The different buildings within the Vicus (Village adjoining the fort) including the infamous ‘Murder House’.
- Mention of the post-Roman settlers, from the early Christians to Anglo Saxon history through to the Border Reivers (Raiders) and the antiquarians (early archaeologists)
- A visit to The English Heritage Museum which is adjacent to the fort where some artefacts from the fort are displayed.
The Housesteads Tour takes about two and a half hours, and is suitable for families and all visitors. Please see the Housesteads’ website concerning the challenging access to some parts of the site. Maximum group size is six adults.
The price of the tour is £78 for the first person
plus £10 per additional child
plus £12.50 per additional adult
These prices include the cost of the Housesteads ticket, refreshments and a guide book per adult.
Catherine is a Qualified Yellow Badge Guide with The Institute of Tourist Guiding
A registered Minimus and Cambridge Latin teacher, with degrees in Modern Languages
Her tours are covered by third party liability insurance, she is CRB checked and she is qualified in First Aid.
Catherine is also fluent in Spanish, Italian and French
Hadrian's Wall Trail - 150 yards
Pennine Way - 165 yards
Roman Arrmy Museum - 1 mile
Birdoswald Fort - 2.4 miles
Vindolanda - 7 miles
More attractions & "distances"
See Our Roam and Stay offers
Nigel and Catherine Jarvis
Four Wynds Guest House
T: 016977 47972