Catherine’s Vindolanda Tour
Catherine’s Vindolanda Tour features:
- The fort’s role in both the British Roman occupation and the Roman Empire, with reference to the Roman Frontiers in England, Scotland, Europe, Asia and North Africa and relevance as World Heritage sites.
- The different forts which have occupied the site and the buildings they would have contained. Highlights include the early third century buildings of the military Bath House, the fort’s Head Quarters Building and the Commanding Officer’s House.
- The different buildings within the Vicus (Village adjoining the fort).
- The current archaeological programme.
- Mention of the post-Roman settlers, from the early Christians to Anglo Saxon history through to the Border Reivers (Raiders) and the antiquarians (early archaeologists)
- Visits to the reconstructions including the stone turret and timber milecastle (representing part of Hadrian’s Wall), the Roman Temple and the 18C Crofters’ ‘bothy’ (house).
- A visit to The Vindolanda Museum – Chesterholm - (where many of the artefacts from Vindolanda are displayed, the Writing Tablets and the chance to see the short film about the amazing discovery of The Writing Tablets which were voted Britain’s No.1 Top Treasure by experts at The British Museum).
The Vindolanda Tour takes about two and a half hours, and is suitable for families and all visitors. Maximum group size is six adults.
The price of the tour is £78 for the first person
plus £10 per additional child
plus £12.50 per additional adult
These prices include the cost of the joint Vindolanda and Roman Army Museum tickets, refreshments and a guide book per adult.
Catherine is a Qualified Yellow Badge Guide with The Institute of Tourist Guiding
A registered Minimus and Cambridge Latin teacher, with degrees in Modern Languages
Her tours are covered by third party liability insurance, she is CRB checked and she is qualified in First Aid.
Catherine is also fluent in Spanish, Italian and French.
Hadrian's Wall Trail - 150 yards
Pennine Way - 165 yards
Roman Arrmy Museum - 1 mile
Birdoswald Fort - 2.4 miles
Vindolanda - 7 miles
More attractions & "distances"
See Our Roam and Stay offers
Nigel and Catherine Jarvis
Four Wynds Guest House
T: 016977 47972